Because it's an unprecedented time to be planning a wedding!
You've probably already seen our popular list of Questions To Ask Your Wedding Venue, but times they are a-changin'...and we've got a few more questions that need answering right about now!
Here is a supplemental list of 40 more questions you may need to ask your venue when it comes to wedding planning during coronavirus. Paired with our main list, you can rest easy knowing you're doing all you can to cover your bases (and keep your guests safe!) during this unprecedented time.
However, we’re not gonna sugar coat it: Planning a wedding during a pandemic is complex, to say the least. If there was ever a time to hire a wedding planner, it would be now!
Also, keep in mind when you are asking these questions that much will depend on when your date is...and venues cannot predict the future either! These questions are meant to be a guide for your dialogue with the venue (don't feel like you have to ask all 40).
That being said, we firmly believe that everything is figure-out-able. Do your research, ask the necessary questions, and keep your head up. You've got this!
P.S. Get the downloadable PDF version HERE!
*DISCLAIMER* The list below is simply a tool to help you evaluate your wedding venue options during this time. Whatever type of wedding you choose to have, do your due diligence to minimize risk, and always follow local, state, and federal health and safety guidelines. Please keep in mind that all of this is going to vary as the situation is so fluid – so please be sure to give your venue contact some grace here. Nobody has all the answers, but we're all doing our very best.
- What is the venue's policy on postponement?
- Would there be fees associated with postponing our wedding?
- If we need to reschedule our wedding, do you offer reduced pricing for weekday weddings or off-peak seasons?
- If we are unable to postpone the wedding, what is your cancelation policy?
- How much is the deposit, and is it refundable or transferable to a new date?
- If we do need to reschedule, is there a time limit in which we must reserve a new date? For example, some venues require couples to select a new date within 12 months of their original date.
- How far in advance of our wedding date will we review and consider whether or not we should postpone?
- If we need to postpone our wedding until next year, will you have available dates?
- Do you require wedding insurance?
- If your venue is temporarily closed, what's the best way to contact you?
- Do you offer any elopement or "marry now / celebrate later" packages?
- How many total guests can you accommodate?
- How many guests will be permitted to sit at each table?
- Will we be able to live stream the wedding? If so, will you facilitate the technology?
- What is your internet/WiFi service like?
Social Distancing + Sanitation
- Do you have a mask requirement for your guests? What about for employees?
- What kind of cleaning and sanitation will be done prior to our event? What about during the event?
- Can we set up hand sanitizing stations or mobile hand-washing stations?
- What safety measures do you have in place for staff? (i.e. are there health / temperature checks upon arrival?)
- How far apart will the tables and chairs be spread out to keep our guests safely distanced?
- What are some creative layouts / floor plan ideas for the ceremony and reception?
- How can you encourage social distancing during cocktail hour, knowing that we will have clusters of people?
- If the event space is indoors, what kind of ventilation is available? Can we leave the doors and/or windows open?
- What is the traffic flow like for guests? Is it possible to set up "one-way" doors for entrances and exits? Do you have an event space with automatic doors?
- If you require valet parking, how will it be handled safely? Will you permit people to self-park if they choose?
Clackamas River Farm, LLC
The Great Outdoors
- Can our entire event be held outdoors? If so, will that affect our event curfew?
- What is the outdoor capacity?
- Are there restrictions on amplified music outside?
- Can we have a dance floor outdoors?
- What’s the plan for bad weather? Normally the wedding would move inside in the case of inclement weather, but how would this work in regards to social distancing?
- Is it possible to set up a tent?
- Do you provide heaters and/or umbrellas for the outdoor spaces?
- If the event is outdoors, what restroom access will we have? How will the restrooms be kept clean?
- Will we need to rent additional portable bathrooms?
Food + Bev
- How will food be served and/or presented?
- What additional measures are being taken in the kitchen to ensure food safety? What are the sanitation practices for the service staff?
- Can we still have a buffet or food stations? If so, what modifications will be available? (e.g. plexiglass over food, disposable serving pieces, etc.)
- How can we avoid clustering at the bar?
- What kind of bartending service will you provide? Is table-side bar service an option?
- Are you still offering on-site tastings to help us choose the menu? Or is there an option to pick up some tasting samples?
*DISCLAIMER* The list above is simply a tool to help you evaluate your wedding venue options during this time. Whatever type of wedding you choose to have, do your due diligence to minimize risk, and always follow local, state, and federal health and safety guidelines. Please keep in mind that all of this is going to vary as the situation is so fluid – so please be sure to give your venue contact some grace here. Nobody has all the answers, but we're all doing our very best.
Did your wedding date change due to COVID-19?
Keep guests up-to-date with these stylish Change The Date and Postponed cards from Minted.
Minted offers designer-quality wedding invitations, stationery, and more without the "custom" price tag.
Bring unique design to your wedding website, paper goods, and décor—created by independent artists from around the world and customized for your big day.
Enjoy FREE samples, FREE guest address printing, and FREE wedding websites to match.
New to Minted? Get an exclusive welcome offer of 20% off your order!
Hold up! Are you in our tribe?
Some clients may have paid to be placed in our editorial and some of these links may be affiliate; however, we never include a venue, vendor, or product unless they have a proper place here. This is part of our Core Values. We create our website first and foremost to be good for the couples using it to plan their Big Day. We won't stray from that for a few advertising dollars. #scoutshonor